Sunday, August 15, 2010

Whatever happened to customer service?

Ok, this is a bit of a rant...but, seriously, what has happened to customer service? It doesn't seem to matter where you go, be it a 24 hour "get everything in one trip mart", or the local government/city office, finding a person to to do the job they are being paid to do and with a helpful and kind attitude seems to be as rare as finding a magical flying unicorn that can grant wishes. It really upsets me. I try to always be kind and courteous to everyone. I come prepared for appointments and have all of my paperwork ready and in order for whatever I am trying to get accomplished (a return, paying property taxes, getting a license renewal) and yet, I have found that I am inevitably treated like I am some sort of interruption. It is as if I have invaded someone's home, catching them unaware, while they are trying to watch that long anticipated season finale of whatever (insert your favorite show), instead of walking into a place of business where they are being paid a wage to do a job...and, that job is to help customers (i.e. me!).

What ever happened to customer service?  What happened to people who took pride in doing their jobs to the best of their abilities? Why do companies and governments (federal, state, city) not care about the impression that their employees make on the general public? Is it all just a just a symptom of a larger problem with society? or is it due to a lack of expectation for a good work ethic and personable behavior out of employees?  I am not really sure, but I can tell you one thing. When I find good customer service I will not forget about it. I will give that company my business and I will be happy to do so.

 I can't do much about boycotting the government offices, but I can send an email or a letter when the person chooses to treat me like I am causing them to actually have to work (heaven forbid!) and let the people in charge know just how horribly it reflects on their office/management.  Another thing I can do is do my very best to raise my children to have kindness in their hearts and hands that are willing to help others, whether it be at their job or just out in the world. I am hopeful that with enough parents making the choice to raise their children with empathy, ethics and kind hearts, maybe we can turn this tide and make rudeness and hatefulness more of a rarity.


1 comment:

  1. Nicely put, Heather. This is such a common complaint because it's just so rampant -- I have frequently been annoyed or even angered by horrible customer service -- and I appreciate that rather than treating the topic from a negative POV, you have offered a positive solution.

    What are your best tips for teaching and encouraging children to be genuinely happy to help others?

    ReplyDelete